Campers in the 1s-9s may choose to participate in our TIE DYE activity. We are happy to provide each camper with one T-shirt per summer to tie dye, but some enjoy the activity so much that they attend multiple times in a session. Campers who would like to tie dye something beyond the provided T-shirt should provide their own 100% cotton, white T-shirt, tank top, or socks. Larger and thicker items like towels, sheets and sweatshirts are not permitted to dye.
The creative magic of tie dying happens during the camp day, but campers bring their creation home to complete the process. Here are washing instructions to follow at home:
- Tie-dyes should sit for at least 12 hours before rinsing/washing. They can sit longer if you’d like the color to be stronger, or shorter for a more faded look.
- Wear gloves, like the kitchen or surgical type, and old clothes or an apron while washing.
- Remove the tie-dye from the bag. Rinse under cold water for a few minutes, allowing excess dye to run off. Remove rubber bands/string. Continue to rinse and squeeze the tie-dye to remove excess dye.
- When the water is mostly clear, you can stop rinsing and place it ALONE in the washing machine. Add detergent and set for COLD wash and COLD rinse.
- Tye-dyes can go in the dryer.
After following these five steps, your tie-dye can be washed with color items in your normal wash.