In 1948, Noble and Greenough School teacher Gr andin Wise won the support of the Board of Trustees for his idea to launch a summertime day camp on Nobles school grounds.
As Mr. Wise and the trustees refined the details, they decided to include both boys and girls in the camp, even though Nobles was, at the time, an all-boys school. With a clearer vision for the camp, Mr. Wise asked George K. Bird to join him as co-director. Their names together, Wise and Bird, was the inspiration for the camp mascot, the Nobles Owl.
In the late spring of 1948, the two directors gathered a staff of five, announced the opening of Nobles Day Camp and prepared for the arrival of a small gathering of children. To the surprise of Mr. Wise, Mr. Bird and all of the trustees, 48 boys and girls arrived on opening day—many more than anticipated.
For the first two years, campers spent sunny days swimming and diving from an anchored float in the Charles River. On rainy days, campers gathered in the school’s small gymnasium, which has since doubled in size and now offers expansive facilities where the campers play and learn.
While we are so fortunate for the growth of Nobles Day Camp, it is as true now as it was in the summer of 1948 that Nobles Day Camp owes its success to our wonderful counselors, our concerned parents and, most important of all, our wonderful campers.
The Wise Bird, our Nobles Owl, salutes you all!
Nobles Day Camp